I can't repro this. The VCS sync logic hasn't changed since the privilege dropping fix in April. The only thing I can think of that might have made a difference is the update to Tcl 8.6 and the associated update of all the try/catch blocks.

All that should be happening between running git and running portindex is the environment restore in VCSCleanup. You might have to do some more digging to figure out a repro recipe I'm afraid.

- Josh

On 2022-10-18 20:09 , Christopher Jones wrote:
Hi,

I’m not running the beta but the current master branch of base, but I guess its
similar.

I’m noticing with the latest version  `sudo port sync` just hangs up after
updating my local git clone. e.g.

Oberon ~/Projects/MacPorts/ports > sudo port -d sync
DEBUG: Copying /Users/chris/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist to
/opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences
--->  Updating the ports tree
Synchronizing local ports tree from file:///Users/chris/Projects/MacPorts/ports
DEBUG: euid/egid changed to: 501/20, env: HOME=/Users/chris
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.vx1uKV7YtR/Listeners
DEBUG: /opt/local/bin/git pull --rebase --autostash
DEBUG: system -W /Users/chris/Projects/MacPorts/ports: /opt/local/bin/git pull
--rebase --autostash
Already up to date.

and thats it, it never gets any further and just hangs up there.

If I contrl-c the process I can get it to continue.

^CDEBUG: euid/egid restored to: 0/0, env restored
DEBUG: system: /opt/local/bin/portindex /Users/chris/Projects/MacPorts/ports
Creating port index in /Users/chris/Projects/MacPorts/ports

Total number of ports parsed:   0
Ports successfully parsed:      0
Ports failed:                   0
Up-to-date ports skipped:       29934