> On 27 Sep 2023, at 12:32 pm, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Sep 27, 2023, at 06:09, Christopher Jones wrote:
>>
>> That just means they are *supported* on any drawn version. Each version
>> still have its own build.
>
> But that's just what "any" means: they build identically on any OS version.
> That's why only one single archive gets produced for these ports by the build
> system. When MacPorts on any OS version installs such a port, they all grab
> and untar the same file from the server.

I had no idea we supported single tarballs for multiple OS versions.

I must say, the distinction between

platforms { darwin any }

and

platforms {darwin >= 11}

which *does* result in specific tarballs for each OS is a bit too subtle for my
tastes. I presume it’s the present of ‘any’ which is important here ?

Is the logic behind what all the various options we can now use with platforms
documented somewhere ?

cheers Chris