On Mar 9, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
On Mar 9, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
That's not how image mode works now - and I'm not sure that we want to impose the burden of verifying abi/api compatibility between releases on every portfile author (if we were to add hooks to make things work that way).

You'd prefer that burden be foisted on the users, eh? Those who are perhaps least qualified to diagnose and fix the problem? :-)

Or who are perhaps most qualified to make intelligent choices of what should be installed and upgraded at which time on their own systems? :)

The fact that API/ABI compatibility is frequently broken is an ugly little secret of our business and somebody, somewhere, always ends up dealing with it. For fan-out reasons alone, that someone should be as far upstream as possible.

Indeed, it should be handled upstream of macports.
--
Daniel J. Luke