Hi David,

On Apr 17, 2007, at 9:47 AM, David Liontooth wrote:

Emmanuel Hainry wrote:
Citando Ryan Schmidt :

Perhaps you meant to clean only the *installed* ports. But I'm still
not clear why. I think MacPorts automatically cleans each port after
it's installed, so you really shouldn't need to clean the installed
ports.

port automatically cleans the work (build) directory, but not the
distfiles and the archives, which port clean --all does. So it is a way to gain some disk files as distfiles can begin to pile up if there are frequent updates. Uninstalling inactive ports frees a lot of room too.

Wouldn't it be useful in that case to have the "port clean --all"
command tolerate a failed request to clean a package that's not available?

$ sudo port -f clean --all all
--->  Cleaning ngrep
nhc98 is not supported on OS X i386 yet

It's not a critical discovery that nhc98 is not yet supported; the
script should just move on.

I'll certainly agree that the nhc98 port is misbehaving in this case. It should make such a complaint on destroot or configure, or something, but not when the portfile is opened.

I believe that if you pass the -p flag to port, that this error (and any others) in a particular port will be ignored. The -p flag basically says that, while processing multiple ports (such as those furnished by all) that an error in one should be ignored.

James