On Oct 10, 2007, at 1:11 AM, David Epstein wrote:

Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:

A-ha! Revelation! You have things in /opt/local that did not come
from MacPorts!...[snip]...

MacPorts likes to be in almost complete control of its prefix, likes
to know what's in it. (It's fine to keep some config files there, but
having other software there that MacPorts doesn't know about is not
ok.) Paul's advice is good -- move /opt/local out of the way.
However, you cannot move a directory into itself. So, try "mv /opt/
local /opt/local-old"

I'll move /opt/local aside, as you and Paul Beard suggest.

But I have the impression that quite a number of non-macports packages want to be placed in /opt/local, and even do so without asking permission. So
this could conflict with what you say about MacPorts wanting to keep
/opt/local/ to itself. I have certainly been advised by people who know a lot more about software than I do, that downloaded software should go into
/opt/local/.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]