On 31.10.2007, at 12:36, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

On 2007-10-31 12:26:44 +0100, Markus Weissmann wrote:
On 31.10.2007, at 05:13, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
I disagree. Port maintainers should test their port to see if they
work with "make -j".

Well, you cannot reliably test this. If you're lucky it might work
one time and fail the other.

So, what do you suggest? Remain with sequential builds forever?

No, but we should only enable parallel builds for software we know to behave correctly. I wont kick you if you enable a parallel build for a port that you maintain and you are not 100% sure that it'll work _always_ -- the bug reports are yours. But I do not like 1. unmaintained and 2. my ports to automatically try to build in parallel -- and I suppose there are other maintainers that don't like their ports to get broken, too. Therefore I prefer this to be an opt-in and I will enable this feature e.g. for the gcc ports I maintain.

-Markus

--
Markus W. Weissmann
http://www.mweissmann.de/