On Nov 23, 2007, at 13:42, Roger Hoover wrote:

On Nov 23, 2007 3:34 AM, Brian Matzon wrote:

I am looking for a variant sockets, but it seems to have either gone
missing - or never made available.
Is this a simple oversight, or are there issues with adding the sockets
variant to php5?

It was made available; it is available. I closed the ticket you filed as fixed and added a note there on October 30:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12919

It's checked into svn so I think that means it will get released with
macports 1.6

No, ports are not versioned or tied to MacPorts releases; changes in ports are always available immediately (allowing 30 minutes for the change to propagate from the svn server to the rsync server). "sudo port selfupdate" and then the variant should be available.

$ port variants php5
php5 has the variants:
        universal
        darwin_6
        darwin_7
        darwin_8
        macosx
        apache
        apache2
        fastcgi
        imap
        tidy
        mssql
        snmp
        macports_snmp
        mysql3
        mysql4
        mysql5
        postgresql
        sqlite
        ipc
        pcntl
        pear
        sockets: Add socket communication functions
$