On Dec 1, 2007, at 14:12, Andrei Tchijov wrote:

I already have tried "upgrade glib2" and it did produce static libraries! It did complained a little about libiconv (just in case, I have attached all messages at the bottom of this e-mail)

[snip]

--->  Staging libiconv into destroot

[snip]

gcc -O2 iconv.o -o iconv -L/opt/local/lib ../srclib/libicrt.a /opt/ local/lib/libiconv.dylib
Undefined symbols:
  "_iconv_canonicalize", referenced from:
      _main in iconv.o
      _main in iconv.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make: *** [install] Error 2

[snip]

I don't think that's related at all to glib2.

This was reported on the list some months ago, and I believe the solution was to forcibly uninstall libiconv (sudo port -f uninstall libiconv), clean the work area (sudo port clean --work libiconv), make sure there were no lingering libiconv items left over (have a look in /opt/local/lib and remove any iconv items you find), and then reinstall it (sudo port install libiconv). See the previous thread:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-August/ 004954.html