Just because its installed doesnt mean its running. Do you see any httpd processes running when you run "ps auxwww | grep http"? Is anything listening on port 80 when you run "netstat -an"? You probably need to load the launch daemon that got installed. Some help text about this should have popped up during "port install", but you might try:

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemon/org.macports.apache2.plist

-Bill