On Apr 6, 2008, at 19:35, Tom Allison wrote:

I'm not certain about the incompatibility of postgres versions. It is a case by case issue, but generally the practice is to dump/ upgrade/restore if there is any doubt. For my development box, it's not an issue.

As for perl -- can you specific a minimum version requirement (>= 5.8) instead of tagging it to a version. This is something I've seen in Debian, but I'm not familiar with the details of how they do it.

No. You cannot declare a dependency on a version of a port. You can only declare a dependency on a port. Therefore there are separate ports for the different versions of software, for the cases where we want users to be able to choose which version.