On Apr 30, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Jerry wrote:

The error seems to come from (1) My having a crufty Ada + other gcc compilers installation in a directory called, probably in part, "before Dec 12, 2007", (2) the installer for some reason _finding_ it and (3) spaces in the path name going into an unquoted path string somewhere. It was parallel to my "good" Ada installation but not in my PATH variable. Hmmm.... So I de-crufted by trashing it, and still get the above error. I'm guessing that the installer script is still remembering that bad path. How do I restart the Octave installation?

port clean --work octave

I've probably terribly confused everybody so maybe I should just start over with these two installations now that I've gotten rid of the spurious compiler collection. What is the best way to do that? I have only one other macport installed, binutils.

Instructions for removing MacPorts (after which you can reinstall MacPorts) are in the FAQ:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/ FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts

But you probably don't need to remove MacPorts.