You're right, the php5 port doesn't have a dbase variant yet.

To see where the php5 portfile is on your hard drive, type:

port file php5

To copy it to a new directory "php5" in your home directory, for example, type:

mkdir ~/php5
cp `port file php5` ~/php5

Then you can edit ~/php5/Portfile as desired and to install it, you type:

cd ~/php5
sudo port install

Or add variants as desired, e.g.:

sudo port install +apache2