Hi Tom,

On Jul 9, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Tom Baldwin wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am seeking some help with a problem I am having running macports.

When Macports installs Python, it updates Tcl and Tk to the latest version (8.5) as a dependency. For compatibility reasons, I want this Python installation to work with Tcl/Tk version 8.4 instead. By commanding "port deactivate Tcl" and "port deactivate Tk" I can restore these to what I had before: commanding "tclsh" and then entering "info patchlevel" at the prompt confirms that the version is now back to 8.4. I assume this is the version which comes preinstalled on the mac.

However, when I go back to my python installation and "import Tkinter", it fails. How can I get my macports-installed Python version to work with Tcl and Tk which were not installed by macports?

Thank you for your help.

TkB

MacPorts is not designed to work with built-in Mac OS X libraries [1]. However, I have the same requirement because I use the blt port. What I do is replace my local tcl and tk portfiles with the latest 8.4.x versions. See ticket #14488 [2] where I have attached those versions of the portfiles. Note that if you are not running from svn, you might want to turn off the write flag on the portfiles so they don't get updated when you run selfupdate.

[1] <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/ FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries>
[2] <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/14488>

Cheers!
Frank