I have been attempting to install and use PostgreSQL without success, using MacPorts. I've installed 8.3.7 and 8.4. Installation goes without apparent hitch but then postgreSQL server is not able to be accessed. I've changed the PATH as per the documentation but postgresql is never to be found.

Ive done a number of previous installations via macports without any problems. I'm using an old MacPowerBook with 2gigs of memory running the current Leopard.

Also, I've attempted the installation using zip files from the postgre site and disk imag from PostgreSQL for Mac. Not any luck!

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Don Fox