On May 31, 2010, at 00:29 , Joshua Root wrote:
Maybe you should ask whoever you heard this from. If you can't specify a
particular technical difference, I doubt anybody can point you to the
right setting even if it exists.

I suspect he means this (from my .fonts.conf):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <dir>~/Library/Fonts</dir>
  <!-- this has legal ramifications; check first -->
  <!--
  <match target="font" >
    <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
     <bool>true</bool>
    </edit>
  </match>
  <match target="font" >
    <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
     <const>hintfull</const>
    </edit>
  </match>
  -->
  <match target="font">
    <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
      <const>rgb</const>
    </edit>
  </match>
  <match target="font" >
    <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
     <bool>true</bool>
    </edit>
  </match>
</fontconfig>

The uncommented entries are the most significant, as they enable antialiased fonts instead of bitmaps. Linux distributions usually enable these by default, but last time I looked in /opt/local/etc/ fonts.conf it was disabled. (The port has been upgraded since then, so newer installations may have a different default.)

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allb...@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allb...@ece.cmu.edu