I searched the FAQ and Tickets for this before asking this nooB question.

I am fed up with amavisd-new 2.6.2 that was installed in 10.6.8 Server Software
update. It has a problem communicating with SpamAssassin when truncating large
files (Files with attachments) mixing headers and sending them on so the
receiver cannot read the message or see any attachments.

Supposedly amavisd-new 2.6.6 and subsequently 2.7 have fixed this issue.

The question I pose to the port-community, If I use the macports installer,
will it update the current version of amavisd-new on 10.6.8 or just install a
new version? As well, if it does install a new version what should I need to
change to make use of 2.6.6 rather than the old version.

I know I will need to create a bootable backup before moving forward. But I
wanted to ask before I got into an overnight project of creating backups and
making updates like this.

Thank you all for your time.