On Nov 16, 2011, at 23:00, Kyle Husmann wrote:

>> Ok. What solution are you advocating?
>
> Sorry, I don't have any solutions at the moment. Frankly this is out
> of my expertise. I like your idea to mix and match the fsf fortran
> compiler with the osx toolchain though.
>
> Still, it would be nice to give the user the option to maintain an
> entire macports ecosystem all compiled with the fsf gcc, instead of
> having to manually add the configure.compiler line to all the
> installs. I realize this probably creates a bunch of issues of its own
> though.

I'm certain that would create many problems. I'm fairly certain it would create
more problems than it solves.

>> It sounds like you're saying we should never mix Apple gcc compilers with
>> fsf gcc compilers. Some very small number of ports require a newer gcc than
>> Apple provides, hence the fsf gcc is the only option. What should we do in
>> that case: force the user to rebuild all ports?
>
> From my understanding, yes, this would be the only way to go.
>
>> Is it only Apple gcc that's a problem? If so, does that mean the problem is
>> already resolved when using Xcode 4 on Lion and Snow Leopard, where the
>> default compiler is not gcc, but Apple llvm-gcc or Apple clang (depending on
>> Xcode version)?
>
> I'm not familiar with llvm-gcc here so I can't answer this.
>
>> Is Apple clang vs. plain clang also a problem?
>
> No idea, but since C is much simpler of a language, I would probably
> guess it was OK.

In Xcode 3 and earlier, since the beginning of OS X, Apple used the gcc
compiler collection to compile C, C++ and Objective-C code.

In Xcode 4.2 and later, Apple no longer ships any version of gcc; it now uses
the clang compiler collection to compile C, C++ and Objective-C code.

So, llvm-gcc and clang are where most of our efforts should be focused. The
Apple version of gcc is already dead to Apple, never to be revived.