Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
I'm not sure if there is a way so that I can directly install binaries
from macports. Right now, macports compiles packages during
installation, which may take too long to finish and take too much cpu
time. Would you please let me know if there is such an option
available? Thanks!

MacPorts will download pre-built binaries if they're available (e.g.,
they're built, the license permits binary distribution).

If you never see attempts made to fetch from packages.macports.org, you
might want to check your macports.conf to ensure none of the
archive-related settings are being set to something outside of the
defaults.

Also note binary tarballs are only available for OSX 10.6 at the moment. If you are using Leopard or older, or Lion, you are out of luck. I believe work is in progress to get Lion tarballs available (very much waiting for these myself), but for older OS X versions, my bet is binaries tarballs will not available (as MacPorts officially supports the last two releases of OSX, so currently 10.6 and 10.7).

Chris