> Sean, it's up to the maintainers of those ports as to whether they would like
> to incorporate your changes, and for the petsc port, I would encourage you to
> file a bug report with a diff with these changes and explanations about why
> the changes need to be made.

That actually was my plan but most of the time when I interact with
the MacPorts devs, I never hear back:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33889
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2012-May/019203.html
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34831
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34846
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34933

As a new person to the MacPorts scene, I've found that it's mostly
discouraging to try to submit patches for discussion.

> In the case of our metis and SuiteSparse ports, they have no maintainers. You
> can still file tickets with diffs and someone will review them and commit
> them eventually. If the tickets don't get addressed in a timely manner you
> can ping the macports-dev mailing list to remind us.
>
> None of the other ports you mentioned exist in MacPorts at this time. You
> would be welcome to contribute your ports to us by filing tickets in the
> issue tracker as usual. Note that for parmetis a port has already been
> submitted; you could see if that one is the same as yours, or if not, submit
> an updated version there:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/20844

How is a three-year old ticket that never got reviewed suppose to
encourage someone that the MacPorts devs will even bother to respond?

I would love to one day submit all my patches for review but I just
don't have a clear message from the MacPorts community that the
patches would even be reviewed; much less, constructively reviewed.