On 13/09/2012, at 3:00 AM, macports-users-requ...@lists.macosforge.org wrote:

>>> I don't find a way to let port install multiple independent ports in
>>> parallel to maximally use the cores on a machine. Is there a way to do
>>> so? Thanks!
>>
>> This used to be allowed (unintentionally, I think) and would sometimes work,
>> as long as the ports you were installing were truly independent of one
>> another (including their complete dependency chains). But as soon as you
>> started trying to do simultaneous port installs where parts of the
>> dependency chains overlapped, and some of those overlapping dependencies
>> were outdated or not installed yet, things did not work. Confusing error
>> messages were printed that users often did not understand.
>>
>> We "fixed" the problem a few versions of MacPorts by introducing a lock
>> mechanism that ensures that you can only install one port at a time. I miss
>> the parallel install capability we used to have, but appreciate that this
>> reduces the number of confusing problems our users could encounter, and thus
>> decreases the number of problem reports we receive, which frees up our time
>> to work on more interesting problems.
>
> There are many tools out there to handle dependencies for compiling
> software and for many other purpose as well. For example, GNU make,
> cmake, ant, maven, etc. I think that there should be (at least
> theoretically) some way of harness some of these tools to handle
> parallel builds of multiple ports even if they share dependency
> chains. Whether it is easy to implement is another issue and I don't
> know the answer.
>
> My inclination is that the feature that I request can be useful. As I
> can port using binaries for only a very small fraction of ports.
> Enabling parallel port can truly use all the cores to speed the
> process. Recently, I just migrate from Snow Leopard to Mountain Loin,
> It took almost 8 hours for me to completely install what had been
> previously installed. There should be something done to improve this
> process.

Since you don't believe, why not enable 'Activity Monitor'.
For me a build holds all 4 cores at the red line for a lot of time. Given this
the effort to enable multiple builds will clearly not be worth the effort.
Likewise the occasional 8 hour stint (overnight ?) compared to the time to
implement the 'feature' and debug/troubleshoot (as explained) is time wasted
that I would much prefer to be spent on real problems.

James