At 5:23 PM -0600 2/24/13, Jim Graham wrote:
On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 11:03:54PM +0000, Chris Jones wrote:
 On 24 Feb 2013, at 10:59pm, Jim Graham <spooky1...@gmail.com> wrote:

 There is nothing wrong with KDE, as long as you properly install the
 dependencies it requires. My reading of this rather long thread is all
 of the problems would have been avoided if the OP had followed the
 instructions as presented to them. You cannot blame KDE for the
 problems that arose because they didn't.

But as the OP in question, I didn't KNOW about any of the KDE stuff
AT ALL.  I didn't know that I needed this, that, and the other bit.
I didn't know that I needed to run other stuff first, or that macports
does not actually install aoo of the dependent stuff for KDE as I'd
assumed it did.  The errors I saw were completely alien to me.  I'd
never run into stuff like that before.  So excuse me if I can't read
minds.  Oh, and I didn't install KDE.  It was installed by something
else (maybe it was kdenlive, maybe something a long time ago...I don't
know).

Jim likely missed some important info while installing kdenlive but it is easy to see how it happened. If you look at the rdeps for kdenlive, there are _270_ lines! I don't know how many of those dependencies use Notes to inform the user of some important fact or other. I *do* know that they scroll by very quickly in the midst of what may be a long, unattended install. Important information is interspersed amongst reams of output that requires no action.

Right now, some ports use basic text formatting to try to draw attention to these messages (lines of asterisks, etc). That's good, but could we do more?

1) Make users acknowledge messages: ie, "Press any key to proceed". (Shades of CPAN!) My take: please God, no!!!

2) Make such messages stand out more: use more distinct visual cues such as colour or font. Could definitely help but I don't know what is supported by all the versions of Terminal. (Let alone other apps or remote connections.) What do others think?

3) Deliver the messages in another manner: eg, cause them to open in TextEdit or a browser window. I think a few lines of Applescript would be enough to create a new window and display all the Notes messages from an install. (We would even have the option to use rtf or html to format the messages to improve delivery.) The user would essentially have an action list after the install. Drawbacks: doesn't work for ssh-type connections to remote machines. I think this could be very helpful

Unfortunately, I lack most of the skills to actually implement anything like this. :-(

Thoughts?

Craig