At 5:23 PM -0400 6/28/13, Dan Aldrich wrote:
Been trying to set up a uPnP/DLNA server on my old iMac-G5. Previously been sharing the media files with SMB. Ushare didn't work out, kept getting bus errors, so assumed that it was too big for the machine. Building MediatTomb right now and trying that.

Any recommendations for something like this? miniupmp, mediatomb, something I haven't thought of yet?

MythTV? Myth includes video library management* and a UPNP server although I don't personally use these features. When you configure Myth you tell it a list of directories that include videos and have it scan through them to create/update the listing and retrieve metadata. More info on the Myth wiki:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_Library

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UPnP

NOTE that building Myth (mythtv-core.25) on a G5 may take *many hours* and has not been extensively tested (I know of one user running it successfully). Also, I expect it will be confusing to work through the configuration since most people use Myth as a PVR and a lot of the steps relate to configuring the capture device and the source of program listings.

Craig

* Prior to Myth 0.25, the video functions resided in a plugin to MythTV. Some older bits of the wiki haven't caught up to that change.