On Dec 9, 2013, at 06:06, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
>>> dyld: DYLD_ environment variables being ignored because main executable
>>> (/usr/bin/sudo) is setuid or setgid
>>
>> I suggest you find out what is setting these, as MacPorts executes most
>> things *not* as root and they can be causing problems (which could be minor
>> or quite major). OS X isn't Linux; setting DYLD_* variables for anything
>> other than temporary specific testing is almost always wrong.
>
> That is very interesting…  I unset the DYLD_* stuff and all is good.  Never,
> ever seen that before.  We set the DLYD_* stuff on our own for our software
> running on the Mac.  Our package is a native Linux app, however, a few of us
> prefer the Mac so an enterprising architect got us compiling on the Mac and
> it's just worked all along.  Never seen any problems until now.

Don’t use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH; it tells the OS you know better than it where
libraries are located, and to look only in the paths you specify; that’s seldom
what you want.

You can use DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH as a stopgap measure; it tells the OS to
look in the specified locations *after* all the other locations where it would
normally look.

The correct long-term solution is to fix your libraries so they’re compiled
with the correct -install_name parameter so that these variables aren’t needed
at runtime.