Hi again,
thanks for the pointer concerning the Apple ID. Turns out, I had to use Safari instead of my ancient Firefox to make the login work.
One suggestion in that ticket is to make sure you have the latest Xcode. Do you?
The latest Xcode for Leopard is 3.1.4. Even if you already have 3.1.4, it
couldn't
hurt to try reinstalling it; perhaps something is corrupt and reinstalling
would fix it.
Just to be sure, I downloaded and re-installed Xcode again, made a
sudo port clean apple-gcc42
and
sudo port install apple-gcc42
but it failed again in the same way. I wonder why gcc42 is needed in the first place, when the most recent version of gcc is much newer (isn't it?). Anyway, I observe that apple-gcc42 depends on ld64 and cctools. I did notice in my long upgrade attempt yesterday that there was a conflict with cctools:
--->  Installing libmacho-headers @862_2
--->  Cleaning libmacho-headers
--->  Deactivating cctools-headers @855_0
---> Unable to deactivate cctools-headers @855_0, the following ports depend on it:
--->         cctools @855_1+llvm33
Warning: Deactivate forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Cleaning cctools-headers
--->  Activating libmacho-headers @862_2

although a bit later, just before trying to install apple-gcc42 there was:
--->  Installing cctools @862_1+llvm33
--->  Cleaning cctools
--->  Computing dependencies for cctools
--->  Deactivating cctools @855_1+llvm33
--->  Cleaning cctools
--->  Activating cctools @862_1+llvm33

so maybe that part was ok after all.