On Feb 01 00:38:03, ryandes...@macports.org wrote:
> > Nothing should change my .bash_profile without asking back.
> > It is something that malware usually does.
>
> The MacPorts installer has always done this. I'm pretty sure it tells you it
> will do this, and our documentation says so too. The alternative is that the
> user installs MacPorts, then when they try to use it they get an error that
> "port" could not be found in the path.

The same error is there now.
After a fresh install of 2.4.1 yesterday,
'port' is not found, because /opt/local/bin is not in my PATH.
The installer has written the PATH=... bit into my ~/.profile,
but that does not mean it is the PATH of the shell I am already running.
It will be, after I start a new shell, or re-login.

> this will cause tons of support requests that I would prefer to avoid, so I'd
> like to keep things the way they are, with the installer modifying the user's
> profile when needed.

I appreciate you concern about being spammed with trivia.
But it's one line in ~/.profile, which is equally trivial.
I find mangling the user's shell configuration worse:
someone who uses macports to install software
is capable of editing one line in their config if told so.

We can trade all this for a sentence that says
"add /opt/local/bin to your $PATH". In fact,
the documentation already says so for EDITOR.
How is this different?

On Feb 01 15:20:26, w...@bachsau.name wrote:
> Not only repeated modifications.
> It simply should not do that in any case.

Exactly.

I will try to come up with a diff tonight.

        Jan