> On 4 Apr 2017, at 15:36, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Apr 4, 2017, at 02:44, Barrie Stott wrote:
>
>> I have some questions:
>>
>> 1. After loading Sierra I noticed that the m/c was slower. Looking at a file
>> to display a dozen or so lines in an already open Chrome browser caused a
>> pause of several seconds. Bigger but not massive files would cause Chrome to
>> ask if it should continue to wait for the file to load or abort the attempt
>> for now. Could this be a sign of insufficient memory and, if so, how would I
>> find this out?
>
> I upgraded an older iMac with a hard drive to Sierra yesterday. It was fairly
> slow right after the update, but I blame that on the Spotlight index being
> regenerated in the background and a new Time Machine backup being completed.
> Once those were done, it returned to a more normal operating speed. It still
> felt slow to me, but that's probably because I'm used to using a newer Mac
> with an SSD. Upgrading the iMac's hard drive to an SSD would surely help.
>
> If you think you have so many programs running simultaneously that you are
> running out of memory, you can open Activity Monitor and check its Memory
> section. In the box at the bottom of the window, the amount of Memory Used
> plus Cached Files should equal (or at least not exceed) the amount of
> Physical Memory. The more Memory Used by active programs, the less memory can
> be used for Cached Files, and the more often the computer will instead have
> to read files from your disk, which is slow compared with reading from
> memory, even if you have an SSD. The amount of Swap Used should be small
> compared to your Physical Memory.
>
> The Memory Pressure graph on the left sums up your memory situation, and if
> the graph is green, you're probably fine. If the graph is going yellow or
> red, you should run fewer programs simultaneously, or install more physical
> memory.
>
> Things can also slow down if your disk is getting full. macOS is happier when
> at least 10% of your disk is empty.

Thank you for this because it is something positive I can work on. I had
intended to wait until a friend could come and we could look carefully at what
you had written. However it will be a few days before he can come so I’m
writing now. Currently I use Spaces and Mission Control and I can see
improvement in performance if I get rid of them

> 2. I would like to be able to take a requested port and find the tree of
> ports that would need to be installed before this port. Does some recursive
> way exist to find this out or must I do each step by hand? I presume I must
> take account of both build and library dependencies.
>
> To find the recursive dependencies of SOMEPORT, run:
>
> port rdeps SOMEPORT
>
> For example:
>
> $ port rdeps glib2
> The following ports are dependencies of glib2 @2.50.3_0:
>  xz
>    libiconv
>      gperf
>    gettext
>      expat
>      ncurses
>  libxml2
>    zlib
>  libffi
>  pcre
>    bzip2
>    libedit
>
> If you want a visual representation using Graphviz, we have two scripts:
>
> https://github.com/macports/macports-contrib/tree/master/port-depgraph
>
> port-depgraph is the original; port_deptree.py was written later by someone
> who probably didn't know we already had one; not sure how the two differ in
> terms of functionality.

This looks even more useful so I’m extremely grateful that you took the time
and effort to write, Ryan.

Barrie.