It's news to me that MacPorts gcc has /opt/local/include in its default search
path, and my first response is that I would not want it to do that, especially
if as you say MacPorts clang doesn't do the same thing. So I would consider
this a bug in MacPorts gcc that I would want to fix. Does anyone know how to
fix it?

Yes, that seems like the reason why MacPorts gcc is able to find MacPorts
openssl and clang is not.

The usual way to get a compiler to find MacPorts software is to supply
-isystem/opt/local/include in CPPFLAGS and -L/opt/local/lib in LDFLAGS.
Different build systems may have different requirements. I'm not familiar with
how pip does it.