Hi Ian,

I also jumped from Lion to Sierra recently but my old Macbook pro with a HD
slowed down a lot and it took a couple of days to be functional again (you have
to reinstall XCode, XQuartz,…). OTOH, note that Firefox is not maintained for
Lion since end of 2016 I believe. Not very secure. Finally my MBP died and I
moved to a more recent one with a SSD + 16 Gb ram and speed has resumed to
normal…

cheers,
Laurent

> Le 14 sept. 2017 à 10:10, Chris Jones <jon...@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>

>> I understand what these messages mean and I have read the Macports Wiki pages
>> referred to, but I am uncertain what to do next.
>> 1. Do I need to do any cleanup of the failed run before doing anything else?
>>  If so,
>>      what command(s) should I use?
>> 2. I had a local ports tree that I no longer use.  I have commented out the
>> reference
>>     to it in sources.conf but do I need to re-run portindex?  Or would that
>> have been
>>     taken care of when I ran "sudo port selfupdate"?  I have not found any
>> way to
>>     re-index and include just the standard ports.
>> 3. Can I revert to earlier versions of apps and libraries (which could at
>> least be used
>>     to keep my accountant happy)?  If so, what commands should I use?  There
>> are
>>     scores, maybe hundreds, of ports to be reactivated and there are
>> probably lots
>>     that are old but still active, because the upgrade run never got to them.
>> 4. If I stay with Lion, I understand that I have to uninstall everything,
>> make some
>>     adjustments to macports.conf and then re-build from source and continue
>>     do so into the future.
>>     OTOH I could go down to the Apple shop and get them to upgrade me to
>> Sierra
>>     and then I could re-install MacPorts apps from binaries but I would also
>> have to
>>     upgrade other non-Apple software I depend on a lot every day, mainly
>> Firefox
>>     and LibreOffice.
>>     Either approach could take days (elapsed) and many hours of computer
>> time.
>>     Which way would be best for me to go?
>
> Go with 4. Update to Sierra, it will save you most trouble in the long run.
> No need at all to go to a store to get it done though, just do it
> yourself.... Download the updater from the App Store and follow the
> instructions. Firefox and LibreOffice might also need updating, if you
> haven't kept them up to date, but both will work fine in the newer OS.
>
> cheers Chris

"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème" (devise Shadok)