On Jan 12, 2018, at 07:40, db wrote:
> On 18 Nov 2017, at 20:38, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> It is preferable to install MacPorts with root (administrator) privileges
>> and to run it with sudo. This is more secure, because, with those
>> privileges, MacPorts can drop privileges and use the unprivileged "macports"
>> user while building. In contrast, if you install MacPorts as your user,
>> MacPorts builds as your user, which gives every port's build system the
>> undesired ability to inadvertently affect any files that your user can
>> affect. For example, if running MacPorts as your user, a badly-written build
>> system could theoretically delete everything in your home directory; if
>> running MacPorts with sudo, that can't happen because the "macports" user
>> doesn't have the ability to modify your home directory.
>

> When installing macports as non-root couldn't it also switch from non-root
> user to user 'macports'?

Normal users don't have permission to switch to other users. Only root has
permission to do that.

> As an aside, I installed macports as non-root and built coreutils and noticed
> that it does as root.

What do you mean? What specifically did you notice?

> Is there any way to prevent a port from building as root on a non-root
> installation?

If a portfile says that a port requires root to build, then it requires root to
build, and you cannot build it if you have a non-root installation. But the
coreutils portfile doesn't say that.