On Jan 19, 2018, at 11:46, Franco Vaccari wrote:

> Here it is, but I wonder whether such a SSL version requirement is
> per-package, because I had no problem in installing a large number of
> packages before finding this issue.

The people who run the servers that distribute python-related files have
updated their configuration in such a way that the openssl library that's part
of older versions of macOS cannot connect to it anymore.

https://pyfound.blogspot.de/2017/01/time-to-upgrade-your-python-tls-v12.html

We should be mirroring these files automatically so that you don't notice this
problem, but we aren't. It's my fault for not working on deploying the
configuration to our servers.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/53347

I have manually mirrored the specific file you mentioned; it should show up
publicly within the hour. Feel free to email me personally if you need other
files mirrored.

FYI, I understand not wanting to change a running system, but in case you
thought it's impossible, it is possible to upgrade Xserves past Snow Leopard.
Officially, Xserve1,1 and Xserve2,1 support up to OS X 10.7 and Xserve3,1
supports up to OS X 10.11. Unofficially, there are ways to upgrade each of them
to newer versions of macOS, and the MacPorts buildbot system uses virtual
machines on Xserve3,1 running VMware ESXi to build all MacPorts packages from
Mac OS X 10.6 through macOS 10.13.