> On Apr 16, 2018, at 7:39 PM, Richard L. Hamilton <rlha...@smart.net> wrote:
>
> "In fall 2018, Apple will stop bundling open source services such as Calendar
> Server, Contacts Server, the Mail Server, DNS, DHCP, VPN Server, and Websites
> with macOS Server. Customers can get these same services directly from
> open-source providers. This way, macOS Server customers can install the most
> secure and up-to-date services as soon as they’re available."
> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208312
> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208312>
>
> For which of these (and others listed on the link) is there already a port,
> esp. for the recommended (or most nearly identical) replacement?  How about
> management GUIs?
>
> Should there maybe also be a mention on a FAQ or wiki page of the collective
> availability of easily installable alternatives via MacPorts?  If MacPorts is
> able to provide replacements for most of the functionality, would further
> publicity be appropriate?
>
> Anything else that might be an opportunity to mitigate this annoyance that I
> haven't mentioned?

I got as far as finding Apple’s detailed documentation on the open source
alternatives to the features that are being removed from Server.

https://developer.apple.com/support/macos-server/macOS-Server-Service-Migration-Guide.pdf

<https://developer.apple.com/support/macos-server/macOS-Server-Service-Migration-Guide.pdf>

Clearly, MacPorts would make it much easier to install a number of these
software packages compared to the manual build processes outlined in the
migration document.

A wiki page showing MacPorts alternatives might be a good start.  Some are
obvious but in other cases there may be multiple packages that might suit a
particular installation.  If the page contains the right keywords, it ought to
be easy enough to find.

Craig