I was compiling git as ppc64 on my G5 running Leopard 10.5.8, and it failed
when trying to configure the port in the subject. A quick search shows that
my exact failure mode seems to have been very common: while configuring
p5.26-locale-gettext, it complains that gettext isn't installed and
recommends I install libintl. Of course, gettext is installed and so is
p5.26-libintl-perl.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd prefer to keep all my binaries as
ppc64 only, in order to save space and get the most out of my hardware.