On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

I think you said before you weren't interested, but if you change your mind, or if anyone else is interested, if you Google "unsupported Mojave" you can find a method of installing Mojave on your MacBook6,1. Read the FAQ at the bottom of the page to learn what compromises that might entail.

I'll take a look, but I suspect it will be akin to shaving my head with a cheese grater :-) Thanks anyway.

According to EveryMac.com, MacBook6,1 supports 8GB of RAM. No futzing would be required. Apple only supports RAM configurations that were available at the time the model was sold. If 4GB modules were not available in 2009, then they would not claim to support a total of 8GB of RAM. But according to EveryMac your Mac does work with that amount of RAM.

Not sure where I saw that reference (some Mac site - MacFixit or something?) but they were pretty definitive about it.

Anyway, this thing is sick in so many ways that it probably isn't worth upgrading; I was offered $100 for it (spare parts) at a Mac shop as a trade-in.

-- Dave