You might want to install it as something other than Xcode.app, like
Xcode.10.3.app; you should be able to use xcode-select to pick which one has
its command-line tools used.  There's another package there for the command
line tools, too, I think.  Maybe someone else can better explain how to set it
up so you can properly have what you need, without interfering with what you've
already updated via the app store.