On Oct 11, 2019, at 10:49, Steven Esser wrote:

> On a fresh Catalina (10.15) install with Xcode 11.1 and the latest CLI tools
> I cannot seem to activate any ports. Most seem to configure and build
> correctly, but fail when they reach the activation step. Attached is the log
> for an attempted installation of ncurses that has this activation step
> failure and occurs no matter what the port.
>
> From the log itself, it looks like bsdtar is the culprit? Bsdtar fails with
> this command "Command failed: /usr/bin/bzip2 -d -c
> /Users/sesser/MacPorts/var/macports/software/ncurses/ncurses-6.1_0.darwin_19.x86_64.tbz2
>  | ( bsdtar -xvp --hfsCompression -f - )”
>
> This is the bsdtar found at /usr/bin/bsdtar.
>
> Wanted to post this here to make sure there wasn’t a quick fix etc for this
> before I file a formal bug.
>
> <main.log.zip>

Does the bsdtar command seem to work when you do things with it manually on the
command line?

The log shows you have installed MacPorts into a custom prefix
/Users/sesser/MacPorts. Any particular reason? It's recommended to use the
standard /opt/local prefix so that you can benefit from our binaries, once they
become available.

The log shows that hfsCompression is being used. Up to Mojave, Apple's bsdtar
didn't support hfsCompression. I haven't checked Catalina yet so it's possible
that they've finally added it. But is it perhaps possible that you have a
different bsdtar somewhere else on your system that MacPorts is using, and that
other bsdtar isn't working?