On 31 Aug 2020, at 13:22, John Chivian wrote:

If you really want to change the default you can using the chsh command (man chsh), but I've never done so for the root or startup user. Too much experience based paranoia I guess.

Yeah...

It is not a good idea to change the default shell of root or of the only administrator-privileged user unless you are extremely careful and understand things like the stages of booting macOS. You especially do not want to point root's shell at a dynamically linked /opt/local/bin/bash.

It IS possible to build a mostly-static bash from the port with an ugly hack that I posted here some time back, and even replace /bin/sh with that, at least on some MacOS X versions, but I wouldn't even try that except to obliterate a bash that is still vulnerable to shellshock.

--
Bill Cole
Not For Hire (currently)