Not sure if it is related to the mentioned maintenance, but I am getting
timeout from https://packages.macports.org when trying to upgrade libnetpbm
today, Oct. 4:

--->  Fetching archive for libnetpbm
--->  Attempting to fetch libnetpbm-10.92.00_0.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from
https://packages.macports.org/libnetpbm
--->  Attempting to fetch libnetpbm-10.92.00_0.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160
from https://packages.macports.org/libnetpbm
Error: Failed to archivefetch libnetpbm: Failed to fetch signature for archive:
The requested URL returned error: 504 Gateway Time-out

I wanted to ask on the list before filing trac ticket.

Thanks,

Kastus