> The rest of the contiguous United States shares either the east or west power
> grid, but most of Texas uses its own separate grid managed by ERCOT.
> Unfortunately right now most of Texas is very cold and everybody is using
> more electricity running their heaters. At the same time, the weather has
> knocked out some power plants. And since our grid is separate, there's no way
> to get surplus power from other states. Texas was not designed with such cold
> temperatures in mind.

I read that Texas did import electrical power from Mexico a week or so ago.  I
guess they threw the jumper cables over that "big, beautiful wall".

My understanding is that, also, there is a connection to the East US grid, but
using it might subject Texas to dreaded Federal regulation of the power
industry there.

Stay warm.