Ok, thanks. In the future then, I might do that if after 2-3 days, the outage
was expected to continue for perhaps that much more, so that I didn't get too
far behind; and I'd probably blow away the clone and switch back after things
were back to normal (since it wouldn't be worth the slowdown the rest of the
time).

Basically, I like it if I can keep a "port sync;port upgrade outdated" down to
under 10 minutes, not counting compiler recompiles or other really slow builds.
That's because I have 21 different systems or VMs (or LDOMs or zones)  (only 5
of which are Macs, the rest are Solaris, CentOS,  Ubuntu, or a CentOS-similar
SPARC Linux) that I do semi-scripted updates (each in its own Terminal tab) to
all at once, and the slowest non-Macs (which, to be fair, aren't compiling
anything) never take that long.

That's not counting a couple of oddballs done separately because there's a
limit to how many VMs at once I want to run on a host, or the three Windows
instances (RDP access plus a script that runs 6 different GUI tools to do
updates, since they also have WSL, Cygwin, and iCloud/iTunes on them; PatchMyPC
does the none-of-the-above on those).

Yeah, that's at home. I used to work in a place with a LOT of toys, and ran
quite a few of 'em, and when I retired, so I wouldn't miss the toys too much, I
have a few of my own (mostly virtual). Also mainframe emulators, PDP-11
emulator, old workstation emulators, etc - most of it something I used before
one time or another.