> On 2021-03-07, at 01:20, Dave C via macports-users
> <macports-users@lists.macports.org> wrote:
>
> Isn’t SSD a bad choice for server duty? No server farms use them, apparently
> due to short lifespan.
>
> Dave

Plenty of servers use SSDs now, usually with HDDs to lower cost. The default
option on AWS EC2 is to use an SSD.

There are enterprise grade SSDs that basically have the same characteristics as
enterprise HDDs. Usually they are not as cheap as HDDs but sometimes are due to
the underlying technology. Spinning discs will remain useful for long term
storage that can tolerate large delays, but I don't see them being used for
much else soon.

If SSDs become as cheap as HDDs with the same expected enterprise-level
tolerances, there will be no reason to keep HDDs. That would mean you get the
same benefits as an HDD, but with huge performance increases, and huge
decreases in power usage.

Andrew