On Oct 20, 2021, at 22:06, Sriranga Veeraraghavan wrote:

> Is there a way to add an optional variant to the QEMU Portfile that would
> apply this patch?

Yes, it is technically possible to do that. However, we prefer not to include
and forever maintain unofficial patches. Instead, we would prefer for such
patches to be submitted to the upstream developers of the software. If they
include it, then MacPorts will automatically get that and any other changes
when we update to the next version of the software. If upstream elects not to
include a patch, then we would have to seriously consider whether it would be
appropriate for us to second-guess their decision and include it in MacPorts
anyway.