I truly appreciate everyone who maintains things for MP - couldn’t live without
this stuff.  My initial query was just trying to understand whether ‘port
diagnose’ was telling me something I should be concerned about.  I think the
answer was ‘no’.
The message could be improved for that case, certainly. All that check does currently is print the message that started this discussion if your currently installed version of Xcode is not in the list of versions known to work on your OS version: <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/_resources/macports1.0/xcode_versions.ini>

If no version of Xcode is installed, it should say something along the lines of "You don't have Xcode installed, so you will not be able to build the subset of ports that build using Xcode."

It should also check the CLT version but currently doesn't.

- Josh