On Apr 11, 2022, at 21:10, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:

> Might the presence of "archs='x86_64'" cause the restore_ports.tcl script to
> ask for +universal variants on the new computer?
>
> Should I perhaps null out the value "x86_64" from the archs entries in my
> installed ports list?  i.e. turn them into "archs='' "? Or should I replace
> them with the value "arm64"?
>
> I don't see any mention in the Migration instructions about modifying "archs"
> entries when migrating from one architecture to another.

No, there is certainly no need to do that. The purpose of the migration process
is to assist you in moving a MacPorts installation from one computer to another
where those computer differ by OS version and/or architecture.

MacPorts is probably installing tiff universal because something you wanted to
install cannot be compiled for arm64, so MacPorts will compile it for x86_64,
and its dependencies must therefore be installed universal, and one if its
dependencies is tiff.