> On 25 Oct 2022, at 7:15 pm, Artemio González López <artem...@mac.com> wrote:
>

>> On 25 Oct 2022, at 20:09, Chris Jones <jon...@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Theres no reason to wait for an official installer, the build from source
>> route works just fine, and once complete gives you functionally as good a
>> macports installation as the installer does. If you go this route, there is
>> also no need to reinstall once the official installer is out.
>>
>> Also, any ports you install, regardless of how you installed macports, and
>> perfectly valid and do not need reinstalling if you subsequently change (or
>> e.g. update at some later time) your macports installation.
>>
>> Cheers Chris

>>> I just upgraded to macOS Ventura, and would like to migrate my MacPorts
>>> installation accordingly. However, when following the instructions at
>>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration I realized that the MacPorts
>>> installer for Ventura has not been released yet. My questions are the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> 1. Should I build MacPorts from source on my machine, or is it better to
>>> wait for the “official” installer?
>>>
>>> 2. Should I choose the latter option, would it be safe to keep using in the
>>> meantime the ports I have already installed (w/o trying to update ports or
>>> install new ones)?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot in advance, and thank you for your great work,
>>>
>>> Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
>>> artem...@mac.com
>>>

> Thanks a lot for your reply, Chris! If I understood correctly, even if I
> upgrade MacPorts to the latest version (compatible with Ventura), I don’t
> need to reinstall the ports I have previously installed under Monterey (macOS
> 12)?

No, thats not what I said, sorry if it confused you.

Whenever you upgrade your OS to a new major version you should always reinstall
your ports complete, as per the migration instructions.

What I said was you do not need to reinstall your ports if you first install
them with a from source macports base install, but then switch to an installer
base install (or upgrade base)

Chris