My reply wanders OT but may be of interest to the OP. Certainly would have been
useful to me 2 weeks ago

> On Nov 15, 2023, at 11:04, Alexander Newman via macports-users
> <macports-users@lists.macports.org> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> I hope that this is the right place to ask a few questions about Apple
> Silicon Hardware and MacPorts - I won’t be offended if this post is ignored.
>
> I’ve trawled through the FAQs but can’t find any references to Apple Silicon
> hardware, which I assume is a good thing. I do realise that a number of
> MacPorts ports appear not to be compilable for AS systems, yet.
I’ve had no issues with my ports: qt6, bash, qt6-charts, curl, inkscape  but I
needed the full XCode. Using a macbook pro, M3, sonoma. I used some unix
thuggery to rid of SIP, install a root password etc.

> I currently have a mid-2010 27” i7 iMac (32 MB RAM) that is running Ventura
> on top of OCLP
On my 2011 iMac27 (i5) I was unable to get OCLP to work. Could not get past “No
Such File” or similar. Only difference I see is a 2T samsung flash (Which makes
the machine a pleasure to use.)

> (and doing much better than it did natively running High Sierra with the last
> security updates). I am using this solution until I can figure out what Apple
> Silicon best meets my needs with respect to compiling MacPorts ports (I use
> Inkscape, R and Octave, amongst other things).
The middle range 14 Core M3 is faster than 6 core i7. I use mythtv and that is
on par with the best I’ve seen.

> I should also say that an entry-level 2017 21.5” iMac (bottom spec) that one
> of my family members acquired is without doubt the worst computer that I’ve
> ever used, and that includes 8088/6 DOS machines. Nice screen, but a horror
> to do try and do anything on.
>
> I have been waiting for several years to see what I can replace the 27” iMac
> with - the Mac Studio is probably over-powered for my requirements, the Mac
> mini M2 needs an external display (finding a decent quality 27”+ display
> seems to be difficult here were I live, in Australia,
Scortptec have nice 27” and 32” samsung 4K monitors for under AU$300

> and the Apple Studio Display is wickedly expensive), and I wasn’t at all sure
> that the M1 iMac would cut it, especially after the experiences with the
> ghastly 21.5” iMac.
>
> The M3 iMac is out now, which may or may not change things, so I am currently
> pondering whether I should plump for a specced-out M3 iMac now, wait to see
> what sort of mini (M3, M3 Pro?) comes out next year (presumably), or wait for
> a lower-end M3 Max Studio (again, next year, and least preferred option).
>
> Are large-ish MacPorts ports going to compile all right on a 24 MB RAM iMac
> with, say, a 2TB SSD, without the hardware throttling? The same with running
> R. Do many people on this list use AS machines, and what are their
> experiences and advice regarding MacPorts on them? Am I in fact over-thinking
> it?
Mine is a M3 14core with 36G RAM but is certainly quick, quicker than a 6 core
i7.
So far the only issue that has beaten me: I cannot install a Case Sensitive
file system on sonoma, allthough I have read: Format the disk Case Sensitive
then do a timemachine restore.
I can’t imagine discent in this forum but let me say in unix-land INSTALL and
install are quite different files.

James