Hi;

  So what is the proper way for X to be started?

  Do I need to manually create a launch entry like I have for the
emacs server?  If so, what is the invocation? What is being invoked?
xorg-server?

  Now that the DISPLAY is null, invoking xpdf fails even after an open
-a /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app, complaining about the DISPLAY
variable setting.

Thanks,
Ken