mike dentifrice schrieb:
> Taken from http://blog.technologeek.org/2006/12/27/44:
> [...]
>
> - Battery life: no news here, 1h30 is the max you’ll get. You need to
>   suspend to disk if you want to swap the battery, it’s not possible to
>   do that in suspend to ram like it was on the PowerBook (G4 500, at
>   least). Sad.

It's not so bad/sad. Battery life is shorter - but where is the real
problem? Suspend to RAM works for some people (I haven't started yet
to try.).

> - Heat/fan noise: catastrophic. Fans running at 4000-4200 rpm on a
>   typical desktop or on my laps, down to 3000 rpm on a glass desktop.
>   More on the SMC below.

I cannot confirm this! My MBP(C2D) is very silent!

> In a previous post, I was reporting a lot of timeouts from the applesmc
> “driver”. After a (very) quick look at the AppleSMC kext for OS X, I
> know why this happens. It looks like the OS X driver uses an interrupt
> and configures the SMC for that. So it probably doesn’t poll the SMC 20
> times per second like the applesmc “driver” does.

Question:
 Why does the driver poll every 20 seconds instead of reading out
 the values "on demand" ?

> It also looks like the OS X driver uses SMC keys we know nothing about.
> I could also confirm that the SMC has access to temperature sensors for
> the CPU, GPU and memory, but it looks like we have no idea of the
> corresponding SMC keys.  With this information, it’d be possible to
> switch the SMC to manual mode with a userspace governor.

Which keys are these? Have you took a look on the latest applesmc driver?

I want to start a little survey here:

 What are your longest battery-only runtime under Linux
  and what did you do to get it?

Regards
 Sven
--
 Sven Anders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 () Ascii Ribbon Campaign
                                                 /\ Support plain text e-mail

Rechtsform: Aktiengesellschaft - Sitz: Passau - Amtsgericht Passau HRB 6032
Mitglieder des Vorstands: Sven Anders, Marcus Junker
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dipl. Kfm. Thomas Träger
begin:vcard
fn:Sven Anders
n:Anders;Sven
org:ANDURAS AG;Research and Development
adr;quoted-printable:;;Innstra=C3=9Fe 71;Passau;Bavaria;94036;Germany
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Dipl. Inf.
tel;work:++49 (0)851 / 490 50 -0
tel;fax:++49 (0)851 / 590 50 - 55