With an unhealthy dose of jealousy I've been reading the success stories
of many suspending the Macbook. I have no such luck.

After trying a lot of different patches and kernel configurations, I am
almost ready to give up. I just can't get it to work. Before giving up
altogether, I thought maybe I'd ask for help in debugging this problem
and eventually getting suspend to work on my box.

The box is a Macbook non-pro (1.83GHz) and here's what I've tried, so far:

    o Vanilla kernels 2.6.18, 2.6.19.2 and 2.6.20-rc4
    o Same as above with mactel patches
    o Suspending by echoing mem to /sys/power/state
    o uswsusp's s2ram(1)

(1) I booted with init=/bin/bash and tried several combinations of
arguments to s2ram

What happens is that the display is turned off correcty but then the
computer freezes completely. I have to hold the power button down for a
couple of seconds and then power the macbook back on.

s2ram seems to have the laptop in its whitelist. Here's what it says
about my box.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# s2ram -n
Machine matched entry 2:
    sys_vendor   = 'Apple Computer, Inc.'
    sys_product  = 'MacBook1,1'
    sys_version  = ''
    bios_version = ''
Fixes: 0x4  VBE_SAVE
This machine can be identified by:
    sys_vendor   = "Apple Computer, Inc."
    sys_product  = "MacBook1,1"
    sys_version  = "1.0"
    bios_version = "    MB11.88Z.0061.B03.0610121324"
See http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram for details.

 From init=/bin/bash I can actually see something happening, although I
don't know whether this is much help:

Switching from vt1 to vt1
Calling save_state
Allocated buffer at 0x2010 (base is 0x0)
ES: 0x0201 EBX: 0x0000
[   23.800000] Disabling non-boot CPUs ...
[   23.812000] Cannot set affinity for irq 0
[   23.916000] CPU 1 is now offline
[   23.916000] SMP alternatives: switching to UP code
[   23.916000] CPU1 is down
[   23.916000] Stopping tasks ... done
[   23.916000] Suspending console(s)

After this, nothing else happens. I see the little hardware cursos
blinking but the box doesn't respond. A hard reset is required...

I am writing this in the hope that I am doing something obviously wrong
or that someone may give me tips on how to debug this.

Thanks,

    -rst.