Hello,

IMAP is basically a way to keep your email on the server, but also
sync a local copy to your computer, another computer, a portable
device, etc. When you delete a message on one, the next time another
syncs it will remove it as well. If you send a message on one, the
sent message will end up in the sent box on the other devices. But,
keep one thing in mind. If you are using a provider that gives you a
small box, under a gigabyte, you'll probably run out of space
eventually and that might be a problem. I would suggest using Gmail or
MobileMe, as these two provide IMAP access and also have massive
mailboxes. Specifically MobileMe can be set up to use even more space
than is available for free with Google. If you constantly get
multimedia attachments like audio and video files, Gmail and MobileMe
make great alternatives.

Ryan