Not sure how that could've happen, maybe  you'd set this gmail address
to forward to that old address as well?  But anyway,   If you want to
close windows in any app, mail included, rahter than just closing  the
entire application, command W is the keystroke you want.  Mail is
awesome, and I think you'll like it.